"...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass..."

Alma 37:6

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Family Is of God - Sign Language


This is a video I made for simple sign language (ASL) for the song The Family Is of God.

I am not proficient in ASL, though I have used many resources in trying to find the correct signs to portray the true meaning of the song.  I have chosen select, key words in the song to sign.  This is not intended to be a translation of the song to ASL.  It is simply a teaching tool to help the children learn and remember the words of the song by getting them to move their bodies in specific and meaningful ways.

Below are two videos, the first with the whole song and sign language, and the second with the spoken lyrics and corresponding signs.  Also below is a write up of the song with links to ASL dictionaries online for each individual sign.

The videos are mirrored so you can follow with your right-dominant hand.
If you want the children to learn with their right-dominant hand, reverse your signs.
If you are left-handed, you may reverse the signs also.

FULL SONG



SPOKEN CLIPS



VERSE 1:

Our FATHER has a FAMILY, It's ME! It's YOU, ALL-others too: we are HIS CHILDREN.
HE SENT each one of US to EARTH, through BIRTH, To LIVE and LEARN here in FAM'LIES.

CHORUS:

GOD GAVE-US FAMILIES to HELP-US BECOME what HE wants us to be(BECOME)
This is how HE SHARES his LOVE, for the FAM'LY is of GOD.

VERSE 2:

A FATHER'S place is to PRESIDE, PROVIDE, to LOVE and TEACH the GOSPEL to his CHILDREN.
A FATHER LEADS in fam'ly PRAYER to SHARE their LOVE for FATHER in HEAVEN.

VERSE 3:

A MOTHER'S purpose is to CARE, PREPARE, to NURTURE and to STRENGTHEN all her CHILDREN.
She TEACHES CHILDREN to OBEY, to PRAY, to LOVE and SERVE in the FAM'LY.

VERSE 4:

I'll LOVE and SERVE my FAMILY and be a good EXAMPLE to each FAM'LY MEMBER.
And when I am a MOM or DAD, so GLAD, I'll HELP my FAM'LY REMEMBER:


If you have questions about how to teach sign language in Primary, CLICK HERE to view my post about the topic.


Personal note:
I really enjoy sign language and I think it is a great way to keep children interested as they learn and review songs.  I wasn't planning on using sign language to teach this song because I'm trying to be a well-rounded teacher and use lots of different tools and techniques.  However, I'm glad I did the research and practice and video for this song because it helped me remember the words and the order they go in, and really solidify each verse for me (which can be tricky, even for a musically inclined person!).  I plan on teaching the signs for each of the responsibilities listed in verses 2, 3 & 4 in at least JR Primary.  I hope it will be a good way to keep them engaged and help them remember those tricky lines!  I just feel like they need something to see or do, and most of them can't read, but they all can move their bodies and do and see sign language.  :)

Happy signing!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kami! I found myself scrambling for a singing time idea on Saturday night after a long crazy week. And I found this post and I just had come back to thank you for sharing it. This was perfect! I have a bit of asl background so this was easy for me to learn quickly and my kids loved it. Which is kind of huge for me. I'm new in our Branch and new to this calling and have been struggling to connect with the kids. This worked wonders. I can't thank you enough!:)

    ReplyDelete